How to set up facebook for a business – important first steps:
Step 2. Select Business Page Type
- Local Business or Place – Choose this category if you are a local business who serves primarily your local area.
- Company, Organization or Institution – If your service or product offering extends outside of your local area.
- Brand or Product – This is a good choice if you have one primary brand or product offering.
- Artist, Band or Public Figure – Choose if you are a musician, author, speaker, politician or other public representative or figure.
- Entertainment – This is for companies that offer an entertainment channel or source. It is for specific movies, games and other entertainment releases.
- Cause or Community – If you are a non-profit organization or an organization that has a primary cause or charity select this category.
Step 3. Initial Business Page Set-up Steps
- 1. Upload your logo icon and configure the size to 160 x 160. It will appear that size on your main profile page and smaller in your news feed, timeline and next to comments; 100×100, 86×86 and 43×43 respectively.
- Add a Short Description. You only get 155 characters, not words here so be brief and to the point. Use targeting language that focuses on your key offerings quickly.
- In order to unlock a custom Facebook URL you must aquire 25 fans.
Click on “Add a Cover”. You can choose from your library of photos that you have already uploaded to your account or you can choose to “Upload a Photo”.
The cover image is the largest visual space on the page so you should make an effort to create a visually appealing image that communicates the essence of your company and moves the user to a specific action. The cover image size needs to be 851×315 pixels but with margins to account for Facebook cropping that occurs on the right and left margins, bringing the center of the picture to a 563x315pixel focal point. Spend some time making a quality cover image as this is the primary banner ad for your company page.